Saturday, July 14, 2012

Wax Museum


One of my favorite things I do in my classroom (and that we all do in fifth grade now) is Wax Museum. Each student selects a person to research (in my room the topic is Famous Americans - they must select a figure in American history who has made a positive contribution to our country). They research using books, news articles, and the Internet. The final project includes a science board complete with a hand drawn "headshot", timeline, biography, family tree, and 10 fun facts about their chose person.  Students then dress up as their person and give a speech. The "wax" part comes in here - students must remain frozen solid until someone puts a ticket in their bucket to make them come to life. Once they come to life they are to remain in character of their person and give their speech. We invite the whole school to come around on the day we present our wax museum. It is always a lot of fun. After doing this for 5 years at my school, kids come to my class now on open house all ready to tell me who they will be for a project we don't usually do until April/May. I love that this makes them so excited to learn! Plus, it incorporates social studies, language arts, reading, memorization, creativity, technology, and so much more.

2 comments:

  1. I know the kiddos love this. What an engaging and fun way to present what they have learned. =)

    I am happy to be your newest follower. I would love for you to hop over and visit me when you get the chance. =)


    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather. Will do :) And, thanks for following.

      Delete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I love to hear from you.